I’m Jane Watson, an HR professional based in Toronto, Canada and Head of People at Actionable.co where I work with an incredible team to bring the power of conversations and habit change to organizations, all while building a world class virtual workplace. You can find out more about how our team works here.
My HR career has taken me into a variety of industries over the last 15 years, including financial services, technology, the public sector, design, hospitality, non-profit, and food processing..
I have a degree in Anthropology, certification/designations in Human Resources Management and am never not learning.
People who know me well know that I love cheese, deadlifts, and arguing with smart people.
Connect with me
About Talent Vanguard
van·guard [van-gahrd] noun 1. the forefront in any movement, field, activity, or the like. 2. the leaders of any intellectual or political movement.
I started this blog because my friends and family got tired of listening to me opine about all things people and organization related. And I guess this is the part where I’m supposed to convince you that I know what I’m talking about… The thing is, the more I learn and experience, the more I become aware of how little I (and we, really) know for certain about humans and work. So instead, let me tell you what interests me:
- Organizations as social systems
- Evidence based management
- Culture as an adaptive mechanism
- The gap between knowing and doing (intention vs action) as a critical constraint on strategy, leadership, and engagement
- The tension between needing structure/process (to deliver consistency) and needing to be flexible enough to react to unique and complex conditions
- How organizations and individuals can cope and thrive in the face of complexity and information overload
Saying that work is changing rings a bit hollow; it’s always changing. Yet it’s true that we are grappling with new, exciting, and sometimes scary shifts in the economy, our society, and technology, and that these are having a significant and complicated impact on how we work together. It’s a fascinating time to work in Human Resources.
Some Important Disclaimers:
- The opinions shared here are my own personal opinions. They don’t always align with the views of my employer or the organizations I am part of.
- I change my mind regularly when I encounter new information or experiences that cause me to reevaluate my viewpoints. So, sometimes I disagree with past posts I’ve written.
- The best ideas are those that withstand dissection, rigorous debate, and educated disagreement. Sometimes I argue a point to decide if I agree with it or not. So don’t take things too seriously, and feel free to (respectfully) disagree with me.
- I don’t promote ideas, sites, people, or books on this blog unless I decide to independently for no personal benefit. Nor do I accept requests to profile services, products, or anything really (although if you want to send me a puppy, or some cheese I may reconsider)